13 - Igreja Matriz Nossa Senhora da Conceição

Praça da República Rio-Grandense (Antiga Praça das Alegrias)

The first chapel built by Azorian settlers in Piratini was demolished in 1811. Then, Rev. Jacinto Jose Pinto Moreira commissioned the construction of a church by Jose de Matos Guimarães, which was completed in 1814. By the time the Revolution started, the chapel was nearly finished. However, one of its towers was at risk of collapse. For that reason, the church was demolished. The church had been the temple in which Te Deum* was done, in honor of the newly established Rio-Grandense Republic. Later, between 1840 and 1854, on the same location, the new Nossa Senhora da Conceicao Matriz church was designed by an Italian architect.

The church’s architectural design is symmetrical, stoic, and structured in three volumes: front, nave, and chapel.

The structure is marked by flat pilasters with a basement. The façade has a central body and two side turrets. In the turrets, holes in pairs, in full arches, crowned by cornice with pinnacles and parapets poured on the corners. The outflow of the cover is done by means of metal gargoyles, with heads of dragons. At the central level at the main door, with wicker-arched stained-glass flag and flanked by pilasters, finished in high relief pinnacles. At the choir there is a porthole with stained glass paintings. Crowning the central composition there is a niche with trilobed arch, which houses the image of Holy Mother. There is a single nave with transept and chancel and hydraulic floor tiles. On the sides, stained glass is inserted in arched openings. The structure is marked by flat pilasters with basement.

The church is a local historical heritage.

* Te Deum is a catholic liturgical hymn that begins with the Latin words Te Deum Laudamus.