Tombamento Municipal

1 - Primeira Câmara Municipal e Ministério da Fazenda e Interior (First Municipal Chamber and Ministry of Finance and Interior)

Gomes Jardim Blvd, 136 (Antiga Rua Clara) and 122, corner 24 de Maio street (Antiga Rua da Fonte).

In 1832, Piratini was promoted to the village category. Consequently, that is when the first Municipal Chamber was installed on this terrace. In November 1836, the Rio-Grandense Republic was established by the constituents of the Municipal Chamber, in adherence to the new regime. Under the presidency of Vicente Lucas de Oliveira, the region was declared a Free State, Constitutional and Independent.

This one-story building has aligned openings and its terrace is protected by iron railings structured by columns with vases. The building’s frames have double-hung wood windows.

On the corner, there is a two-story building constructed in 1826. During the time Piratini was the Capital of the Republic, this building sheltered the Ministry of Finance and Interior. The building’s architectural characteristics, which were similar to the Farroupilha Government Palace, were modified during the 19th century. The overhang was removed to make room for the platband and simple ornaments mark the spans straight; French windows opening from the middle.

This building is protected by Local Heritage.