Tombamento Estadual Tombamento Municipal

3 - Palácio do Governo Farroupilha (Palace of the Farroupilha Government)

Blvd Gomes Jardim, 104 (Antiga Rua Clara).

The Palace of the Farroupilha Government was installed at this two-story building, which was constructed in 1826 by Manuel Jacinto Dias. In 1836, in the midst of the Farroupilha Revolution, the meeting of the Municipal Chambers that declared Piratini as the Capital of the Rio-Grandense Republic took place in this building.

This building is filled with Portuguese-Brazilian traditional architectural characteristics which are structured in two blocks: a front volume in two floors and the posterior section. The posterior section includes a closed backyard and access to the lateral stairs. The composition has symmetric voids, slaughtered arched lintels superimposed by cilia, four front doors with flags and double-hung wood windows. The frontal volume’s hip roof has tiles and galbo with cloak-and-channel. The galbo is located over a simple cornice and border-seveira. There are vertical marks on the corners. In one of the rooms of the second block, there is access to the backyard, along with an oven and stove floor with chimney and seven Arab-style burners. On the façade there is a shield in high relief with the dates 1826-1835 and the allusive plaque to the historical facts that took place there.

The palace is protected by the National Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute since 1941.