Tombamento Estadual Tombamento Municipal

5 - Casa de Gomes de Freitas (Gomes de Freitas House)

Bento Gonçalves street, 59 (Antiga Rua Clara)

Constructed around 1830, this building was owned by Serafim José da Silveira, Manuel José Gomes de Freitas' grandfather. Gomes de Freitas was a judge in Piratini when the Farroupilha Revolution began. Because he did not want to get involved in the conflict, Gomes de Freitas went to Uruguay, returning only five years later as a municipal judge. Later, in the second half of the 19th century, as president of the Municipal Chamber of Piratini, he ordered the construction of the new cemetery, the municipal prison and the Casa da Câmara. He was deputy and vice-president of the province between 1875 and 1879. Mr. Freitas has also been official of “Order of the Rose” and member of the Historical and Geographical Institute from Saint Peter of South Province. Mr Freitas spoke English, German, Spanish and French and wrote several books, including “Apontamentos dos Fatos Diretos ou Relativos à História do Brasil”, “Lista de Batalhas desde 753 a.C. até 1860”, “Bosquejos das Nações e Pormenores Notáveis da História Universal e Pátria”, “Vila de Piratini” and “Notícia Histórica, Geográfica e Descritiva”. He used to live in this house when he was in the city, but he spent most of his time at São Frutuoso ranch. He died in 1884, at 73-years of age.

This building features traditional architecture with Portuguese-Brazilian second season, with a balance between full and empty. It has hip roof with Galbo, in tiles cloak-and-channel eaves and talon. The openings have straight lintels and doors with sliding windows and banners.

The building has been protected by the Federated State Historical and Artistic Heritage Institute in 1986.